In addition to barrier-free pathways and ramps, accessible docks/piers are equipped with a self-propelling launch to gradually enter the water. At some locations, a small, backless seat or bench is permanently in place to assist in the transition from wheelchair to kayak. To propel into the water, different designs use different methods, but all include some kind of grab-rails right beside the kayak.
The following is a growing list of wheelchair accessible piers and docks to kayak in rivers, creeks, lakes, bays, or the ocean. If you know of another accessible spot to be added to this list, please say something.
- Fisheating Creek Wildlife Management Area at the Palmdale Campground, Venus, Glades County
- Gamble Rogers Memorial State Recreation Area, Flagler Beach
- Sirenia Vista State Park, Cape Coral
- Rifle River State Rec Area, Lupton
- Mercer Park, Baldwinsville
- Ariel-Foundation Park, Mount Vernon
- Buckeye Lake State Park, Perry County
- Cowan Lake State Park, Clinton County
- French Creek Reservation/Steel Mill Trail, Lorain County (Map)
- Mentor Lagoons Marina, Mentor
- Seneca Lake Park, New Philadelphia
- VOA Lake at Voice of America Metro Park, Butler County
- Eel Lake, William M. Tugman State Park
- Leaser Lake in New Tripoli